Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fire on the Mountain, run boys, run!

You ever heard the Charly Daniels song "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"? That is a line from it, and it seems appropriate. Becasue my mountains caught on fire. Now of course I don't own them, but they are less than half a mile from my parents back yard, and they all went up in flames last friday. I came home from work on Friday around 3 and I saw a fire, so I drove a couple blocks over to see what it was, it was small enough, no big deal, so I went home. About 2 hours later when I let my dog out side, it had climbed up the better part of the mountain. Now keep in mind there are several mountain sides within close proximty to one another. And of course they aren't smooth. There are ridges and ravines and all kinds of stuff. So at this time it was still pretty far from my town, at least half a mile, no big danger. Well it kept growing, and fast too. By nine my dad sister and dog and I drove up the road to see how our neighbors were doing because they fires were getting really big, and really close and the wind was blowing alot. Well, they were all being evacuated, and then all of the sudden, police cars were blocking our neighborhood and we couldn't get to our house. We had literally just walked out, no purses or wallets, my dad was in his pajamas. So we drove over to our steak center, where the mayor was talking with the fire cheifs. Well, we spend the next five hours hanging out at the church, making sure our friends and family were safe and wehre they should be. The fire's burned all of the mountain face, from clear past the small farm next to my house to the mouth of the canyon about a mile away. That may not seem like much, but it also burned from the top of the mountain clear to the bottom. Now in Utah, if you didn't know, we like to build our houses right on the mountains, close to the bottom and right up in there. Which proved to be a bit of a problem when the mountains were on fire. Long story short, no one died, no houses were lost, and they got the fires out. But it was pretty intense. It was raining ash, and it was 100 degrees at 1 in the morning. It's a good thing I don't live in southern california......

No comments: